When you think of healthy snacks, it can be a hard feat. Most processed snacks are full of sugars, inflammatory ingredients or artificial ingredients to enhance flavor or prolong the shelf life. None of which is good for our health, and is only beneficial to the company making and selling those snacks. I have a lot of frustrated adult clients, and mostly parents, because of this.
My kids love snacks! We always have fruits, vegetables, olives, and nuts in our house for easy grab and go snacks. Some of my favorite recipes for snacks include bars, chips, friend fruits, jerky, hard boiled eggs, crackers, dips, hummus, salsa, and energy bites! Energy bites are also called protein bites, or protein balls. These easy to make snacks can be full of macro ingredients and micro nutrients to fuel your body.
I have many energy bite recipes in my cookbooks and I made many flavors at Nourish Cafe & Market. Energy bites can be scooped and held in the refrigerator or the freezer. They last frozen for 4-6 months, which is great for busy people. I like to make large batches so that I can freeze a bunch for my family, pull them from the freezer as needed and I do the clean up once instead of multiple times.
Here I made a Detoxifier Coconut Lime Energy Bite to share with you all!
Coconut Lime Energy Bites
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Yield: ~15 energy bites
2 large limes zested
⅓ cup lime juice
½ cup almond butter
⅔ cup coconut sugar
½ cup shredded raw coconut
½ cup detoxifier powder
½ cup almond flour
⅔ cup shredded raw coconut for rolling
- In a large bowl, add the lime zest, lime juice and almond butter. Mix until incorporated.
- Add the coconut sugar, shredded coconut, detoxifier powder, and almond flour into the bowl. Mix until all the ingredients are incorporated.
- Use a ¾ cookie scoop to scoop out the energy bites onto a sheet pan lined with unbleached parchment paper.
- Place the shredded coconut in a small bowl. Roll each energy bite in the shredded coconut, and place it back onto the parchment paper.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. These energy bites last in the refrigerator for up to a week, and in the freezer for up to 4 months.